Los Tacos – Delicious recipes
– 6 poblano peppers
– 1/4 cup onion, small dice
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– 2 cups chicken broth, preferably fresh
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
– 2 cups milk or half and half
– 3 tablespoons butter
– 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese, (shredded)
2 ea corn tortillas (6-inch) cut into thin strips and crisp-fried and drained on paper towels
1. Preheat oven to broil. Place poblano chili peppers on a cookie sheet and place in oven. Allow skin to blacken and blister, turning the chili peppers until all sides are done. (Note: Do not overcook.) When they are done, place them in a paper bag and seal. In about 15 to 20 minutes, take them out of the bag and peel the skin off each one. Remove the stems and seeds.
2. Combine in blender, chili peppers, onions, garlic, broth, salt and pepper to taste and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk and set aside. In another saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter or margarine, add the flour and stir well. Add the warmed milk and stir until well blended. Add the chili pepper mixture and mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.